The Benefits of Bergamot Essential OilMar 29, 2022
This citrus scent will refresh your senses and ease you at all levels of your being. Bergamot essential oil can calm nervous states and purify the air.
What are the benefits of Bergamot?
In some ways traditional medicine understands more about the interactions upon us than most medical studies on humans can demonstrate, and the research is insufficient especially in quality to confirm the below benefits. But traditional uses direct us to these benefits.
- Mental health small studies have shown some advantages to increasing a sense of feeling ‘proud’ and ‘active’ after inhaling bergamot along with easing insomnia and decreasing the milder feelings of stress(1, 2, 3). Ayurveda uses this to connect to higher vibrations of spirit elevating the heart and mind.
- Anti-bacterial upsets traditional use in Italy included uses to reduce mouth, skin and urinary tract infections, alongside upper respiratory disorders. It can ease stomach upset caused by bacteria but this has not been tested with humans ingesting the oil (4).
- Anti-septic for skin that can clear pimples and acne when applied in a diluted form before going onto the skin (2).
- Analgesic effect to reduce pain when injected into mice that could reduce the signal-regulated protein that causes pain signals (5).
- Vasodilator for cardiovascular health could mean a support tool for cardiovascular diseases as it eases the flow of blood around the body. This has only been tested on guinea pigs to date (2).
Do not put bergamot onto the skin if it has been exposed to the sun for 12-24 hours before or after. This will cause a reaction with the citrus that can burn the skin.
How to use Bergamot
Lift the Mood with a few drops into an air freshener or diffuser to feel your pride lift and activate your mind into the present moment. The clearing of the air with this uplifting floral and slightly green scent reconnects you to the Meditteranean trees. I love to add some sweet orange, ylang-ylang and rosemary to really freshen my mind!
Hair and Skin Love clear irritations and pimples with up to 3 drops into your body wash or shampoo. Test a skin patch first as can cause irritation or redness. Remember sun exposure is to be avoided.
Relax the overindulgence or overstimulation with 3 drops of bergamot into 4 drops of lemon, palo santo, patchouli, and sweet orange in a carrier oil like grapeseed. Then massage onto skin to feel relaxation and uplift. Do not use if breastfeeding or pregnant.
Find out your next essential oil aroma
If you are interested in one of my bespoke blends that align to your intention and energetic shifts, then let me know. A candle brings ritual, but a bottle blend may be more appropriate to your setup. So get in touch and find out!
This information is for general interest only and is not to be taken as advice: therapeutic, medical or otherwise. We do not make a claim of any therapeutic advice offered in the writing. Please seek professional advice for the appropriate use of essential oils for your situation.
Research used for blog:
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Receive each new blog post direct to your inbox when they are released!