A Silent Moving MeditationMay 01, 2023
To become awakened is to walk through each moment of life fully present and alive to the sensory experience. Moving meditation is one of the most practical skills to develop this state. This is one of the reasons why we move in shape during yoga or Qi Gong. Learn more about how to create a silent-moving meditation practice here or do the guided practice on YouTube.
Yoga became popular through the fitness aspects of what it can do for the body, with some influencers more focused on the gymnastics potential of asanas. This is a powerful tool for teaching many of us the power of the mind over body and a great shift for awareness of what we think.
But yoga is nothing to do with making shapes. Yoga is the union of the Divine within your physical form. Living your life a spiritually embodied being in this lifetime with less thoughts, less karma and less drama.
Any movement practice that calms the mind and brings you to inner silence is a yoga practice.
Benefits of Silent Moving Meditation
Here are some of the reported benefits of a silent moving meditation practice:
- Reduced mind chatter as the focus is on the movement and its sensations
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduced feelings of anxiety, depression and stress
- Greater mobility and body awareness of well-being choices
- Improved attention and focus
- Better quality sleep and restfulness
- Better energy levels and vitality
- Greater empathy, connection and feelings of compassion with self and others
- Grounded connection with your body and surroundings to connect more fully to the moment
- Greater intimacy in your relationships and coming into the present moment
How to do Silent Moving Meditation
Suggestions for how to create your silent moving meditation practice:
- Any movement can be your practice to become mindful and move into inner silence - a walking meditation is a great practice.
- Aimless Wandering to cultivate this deep inner space. When the action is simple it can be easier to go inwards and find this connected place of silence.
- Focus on your breath or physical sensations to reduce the noise of mind chatter.
- Build up from less to more as you master maintaining silence in challenges.
- Add challenge to your movements with Qi Gong, Tai Chi, Yoga or Pilates as increased physical exertion and coordination will bring more egoic desire into the practice.
If you are hypermobile you will likely find that the Pilates Studio or reformer classes are one of the most intensely present-moment movement practices you can participate in. This is because your inherent joint instability requires immense concentration, controlled breathing and coordination - three of Joseph Pilates 'Contrology' principles.
Go deeper with your practice and join me on a retreat where we explore movement as a gift to embody our fullest Soul's expression.
In the meantime, take this practice and turn off the sound when you are ready!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
Receive each new blog post direct to your inbox when they are released!